The Nicolet College Financial Aid Office has been assisting Veterans, service members, and qualifying family members with their educational benefits for decades. Nicolet College is proud to support our Nation’s military and it is a privilege to serve those that have served our country. Our School Certifying Official (SCO) serves as a liaison between our military students and various federal, state, and local agencies. The SCO is located in the Financial Aid Office located in the Red Oak Center on the second floor.

students walking down stairs

In order to certify Veterans’ educational benefits, the Financial Aid Office needs the following information/documentation:

  • Completed Veterans Education Benefits-Certification Request Form before each term
  • Benefit student is eligible for (see benefits listed below) along with a copy of applicable documentation
    • Veteran’s DD-214
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Notice of Eligibility (NOBE) for National Guard Tuition Reimbursement
  • Copy of Nicolet course schedule

Veteran’s Educational Benefits

Federal VA educational benefits must be applied for through the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The quickest way to apply is online at For additional support in applying for federal benefits, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or use the online support offered through their website.

About Federal VA Education Benefits

Once approved for benefits through the DVA, a Veteran must be enrolled in an approved associate degree or technical diploma program. Only classes within the Veteran’s program are covered by the benefit.

Veterans have 10-15 years from their separation date to use their federal educational benefits. However, if the separation date is on or after January 1, 2013, and the Veteran is eligible for the Post 9/11 benefit, then lifetime access applies. Benefits are payable for 36-48 months while enrolled in school. It is the responsibility of the student receiving Veteran’s educational benefits to notify the School Certifying Official of any changes in enrollment within five (5) days of the change. Withdrawals could result in a debt with the VA.

About State VA Education Benefits

There are a variety of State Veterans Affairs programs available. Determination of eligibility and obtainment of applications is done through the County Veterans Service Office

VA Payment Policy

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Public Law 115-407), Nicolet College allows Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) and Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) beneficiaries, with a valid Certificate of Eligibility or VAF 28-1905, to attend a course of education or training for up to 90 days without payment. Nicolet College will not impose a penalty, require the beneficiary to borrow additional funds to cover tuition and fees, or drop the beneficiary due to late payments from VA.

Additional Forms

Nicolet College Catalog
VA 22-1995 Veteran Change of Place or Program

VA 22-5495 Dependent Change of Place or Program
WDVA 1805 WI GI Bill® Veteran’s Residency Affidavit

Types of Federal VA Education Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30)

  • Served in the US Armed Forces, met time requirements, and honorably discharged
  • 36 months of education benefits payable within 10 years of release from active duty
  • Veteran to receive monthly payments based on enrollment level paid directly to student.
  • Must contact the VA monthly to verify attendance.

VA contact information: 1-877-823-2378 or

Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans (Chapter 31)

  • Assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities achieve employment.
  • Period of Eligibility- 12 years from date of separation from active military service or date Veteran was first notified of disability rating.
  • Must have 20% or greater and an employment handicap.
  • Covers tuition, fees, books, supplies, and certain equipment.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

  • Served on active duty on or after September 10, 2001, for at least 90 aggregate days and received an honorable discharge.
  • 36 months of educational entitlement and within 15 years from date of separation unless separation date is after January 1, 2013, then there is no time limit.
  • Covers tuition, fees, book stipend, and a monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) while enrolled.
  • May be transferred to dependents.
  • Must use this benefit before using WI GI Bill® benefits unless entitlement is less than 100%.

Fry Scholarship-Post 9/11 (Chapter 33)

  • Post 9/11 benefits to children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty (active) on or after September 10, 2001.
  • 36 months of benefit at the 100% level.

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

  • Eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally  disabled due to a service-related condition, who have died while on active duty, or died as a result of a service-related condition.
  • 45 months of benefits.
  • Children must be between the ages of 18 and 26.
  • Spouses have 10 years from the date VA determines disability eligibility or 20 years if rated 3 years from discharge.
  • Spouses have 20 years from date of death.
  • Monthly benefit paid directly to student.
  • Students will be contacted by the VA directly if verification of attendance is needed.

Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

  • Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves as well as Army and Air National Guard.
  • No active duty required.
  • Eligibility ends when separated from Selected Reserves.
  • 36 month entitlement.
  • Monthly benefit paid directly to student.
  • Must contact the VA monthly to verify attendance.
  • VA contact information: 1-877-823-2378 or

Types of State Veteran’s Education Benefits

Wisconsin GI Bill®

  • Up to 8 full-time semesters or 128 cumulative credits.
  • Veterans and eligible dependents receive 100 percent remission of tuition.
  • Student must maintain at least a 2.0 Cumulative GPA.
  • Requires Veteran to have entered the service as a Wisconsin resident or established and maintained Wisconsin residency for at least 5 consecutive years immediately preceding the beginning of the semester.
  • 100% remission to unremarried surviving spouse and children of a Veteran who died in the line of duty.
  • 100% remission to the spouse and children of a Veteran with substantial service-connected disabilities (30% or greater).
  • Qualifying children must be at least 17, but less than age 26.

To apply, the following forms need to be completed:

WDVA-2030 Request for Certification for WI GI Bill® which gets mailed to the WI Department Veterans Affairs.
WDVA-2029 Application for WI GI Bill® which gets turned into the School Certifying Official

Veterans Education (VetEd) Reimbursement Grant

  • Reimbursement grant, credit-bank system, based on length of active duty military service who have not yet been awarded a bachelor’s degree.
  • May concurrently receive Ch. 30 MGIB benefits
  • Reimbursement will be reduced by tuition and fees already paid by other grants, scholarships, and remissions.
  • Apply through your County Veterans Service Office

WDVA Retraining Grant

  • Qualified unemployed Veterans who have financial need while being retrained.

Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant Information

  • Eligible guard member, upon completion of courses, can apply for tuition reimbursement.
  • 100% reimbursement up to the maximum resident undergraduate tuition charged by UW-Madison for up to 8 semesters.
  • Grant cannot pay for fees, books, or continuing education credits.
  • DMA Form 189-E needs to be completed by student and School Certifying Official at the end of each semester.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to verify my attendance to the VA every month?

Only students who are using Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 have to contact the VA monthly and verify attendance to receive their pay. Chapter 35 students will be contacted by the VA directly if verification is needed. VA contact information: 1-877-823-2378 or

Can I apply for Financial Aid if I am using my VA Benefits?

Yes, you can, and we encourage all our Veteran students to apply by completing the FAFSA at There are several types of financial aid to choose from; grants, scholarships, and loans, if necessary. The only students who cannot take tuition specific financial aid (ex. Foundation Scholarships) are Post 9/11- Chapter 33 students because that benefit already pays tuition costs.

How do I contact my School Certifying Official?

Nicolet College’s School Certifying Official is located in the Financial Aid Department, second floor of the Red Oak Center. Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The School Certifying Official can be contacted by calling 715-365-4487 or email

Contact Information

Veterans Services
Red Oak Center

P: 715.365.4487
800.544.3039 ext 4487


Nicolet College is committed to creating a web experience that is accessible for all users based on the standards set forth by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). If you have any issues using this website or accessing documents and information, please contact the Manager of Risk, Compliance and Safety at or 715-365-4637.