This certificate is designed for early childhood teachers and directors working with infants and toddlers in early childhood programs or for those who want a deeper understanding of infant and toddler care and education. The certificate consists of four courses for a total of 12 credits. Individuals who complete this certificate are eligible to submit a portfolio of their competencies to The Registry; Wisconsin's Recognition System for the Child Care and Education Profession and apply for the Wisconsin Infant Toddler Professional Credential awarded by that agency. This certificate articulates with the Nicolet College Early Childhood Education Associate Degree.
Note: Students seeking to earn Infant Toddler Credential through the Wisconsin Registry need to take 10-307-181 ECE: Infant Toddler Capstone in lieu of 10-307-174 ECE: Practicum 1.
|ECE Infant and Toddler Development
This 3-credit course explores infant and toddler development as it applies to an early childhood education setting. This course focuses children conception through thirty-six months. This course includes training for Wisconsin Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care certification.
|ECE Health Safety and Nutrition
This 3-credit course examines the topics of health, safety, and nutrition within the context of the early childhood educational setting. This course includes training for Abusive Head Trauma, SIDS, and Mandated Reporter certifications.
|Infant and Toddler Group Care
Focuses on caring for infants and toddlers in group settings, both center-based and family child care. Material will cover program quality, philosophy, structure, environments, health and safety, developmentally appropriate practice, and inclusion/diversity issues. Prerequisite: 1030715100 ECE Infant and Toddler Development (C or better).
|ECE Family and Community Relationships
This 3-credit course will examine the role of relationships with family and community in early childhood education. In this course, students will complete the Strengthening Families Training.
|ECE Field Experience 1
In this 3-credit introductory field experience course, you will be introduced to the foundations of early childhood education under guided supervision of a mentor teacher in an early childhood setting, working with children birth through age 8. This course meets the requirements for the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards 18-hour training. Prerequisite: 1030716700 ECE Health Safety and Nutrition (C or better).
At A Glance
How You'll Learn
Term Start Dates
|Spring 2024: January 8
|Summer 2024: May 6
|Fall 2024: August 26
Start dates represent the beginning of a new term. Certain programs or courses may not be available to start every term. Please view the course schedules for a list of upcoming classes or contact the Welcome Center at 715-365-4493.
Books & Supplies*
*Total cost for degree completion is estimated by current course requirements, books, and supplies. Tuition and fees are set by the Wisconsin Technical College System and subject to change.
What You'll Learn
- Apply infant and toddler development theory to practice
- Observe, record, and assess infant and toddler growth and development
- Implement infant and toddler age developmentally appropriate curriculum supporting routines as a learning experience
- Incorporate infant and toddler age developmentally appropriate guidance strategies, which support healthy identity and prevent discipline problems in advance
- Integrate infant and toddler age-appropriate health, safety, and nutrition practices according to local, state, and national standards
- Provide a respectful, diverse, and inclusive infant and toddler program
- Use interpersonal skills to develop respectful and trusting relationships with infants, toddlers, and adults
- Demonstrate professional and ethical standards
- Complete a practical experience evaluation related to infant and toddler care
- Complete a professional portfolio related to infant and toddler care
Your Potential Careers
- Infant Toddler Teacher
- Infant Toddler Teacher Assistant
- Early Head Start Teacher Assistant
Median Annual Salary
Your application can be submitted online, it takes just a few minutes to complete.