Title: Use of College and Personal Vehicles
Number: AP 6.03
Adopted: March 1995
Reviewed: June 2020
Revised: May 2017
Nicolet College maintains a fleet of vehicles for use in support of its programs and educational services.
Categories of Vehicle Assignment
- Temporary – means the vehicle is assigned for a specified period of time for business use only. Fleet vehicles are available on a first-come first-served basis, and must be reserved. The College reserves the right to deny the use of a fleet vehicle if the intended use is deemed inappropriate.
- Department – means vehicles operated by a specific department. Departments which operate College-owned vehicles shall develop guidelines and checkout procedures for the use of such vehicles.
- Vehicles not licensed for road use – means vehicles used for instructional purposes only, on the College premises.
Guidelines for the Use of College Vehicles
- District Board members, College employees, and student employees over the age of 18 will be permitted to use College vehicles for approved College business.
- All drivers and passengers of motor vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the College shall wear available safety belts at all times the vehicle is in operation, and obey all applicable laws.
- All drivers of motor vehicles owned, leased or rented by the College must possess a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle(s) the driver will be operating.
- The College reserves the right to deny use of College vehicles based on an individual’s driving record or other factors.
- Out-of-state licensed drivers using College vehicles shall be required to sign an affidavit verifying that their driving record meets the above-listed criteria.
- All drivers of College vehicles are required to complete a defensive driving course, assigned by Human Resources. Any associated fees will be paid by the College.
- Only individuals on authorized College business are permitted to travel in any College vehicle.
- The use of tobacco products, or the operation of any College vehicle or equipment while under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substance is strictly forbidden.
- Fines imposed on employees while conducting official College business are the responsibility of the employee. Motor vehicle fines resulting from faulty equipment on College vehicles will be the responsibility of the College.
- College auto insurance will be primary in the event an accident occurs while using a College vehicle for College business.
Guidelines for the Use of Personal Vehicles
While on College business, all drivers and passengers of motor vehicles not owned, leased, or rented by the College shall possess a valid driver’s license, wear available safety belts, and carry vehicle liability insurance equal to or greater than the required limits for the State of Wisconsin. Personal auto insurance will be primary in the event an accident occurs while using a personal vehicle for College business.
Motor Fuel Supplies
The College purchases motor fuel of various types for use in its automobiles, trucks, and groundskeeping vehicles. The high cost of such fuels necessitates operating procedures which provide a high degree of control and accountability.
- Responsibility for managing the use of motor fuel supplies rests with the Director of Facilities.
- Use of College purchased motor fuel is limited to College-owned or leased vehicles operating on official business.