Emergency Medical Technician
Technical Diploma - 5 Credits
About the Program
This program covers all emergency knowledge and skills currently considered to be
within the responsibilities of the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) who is providing
emergency care in a pre-hospital setting. The instructional program consists of lecture
with laboratory practice and supervised clinical experience in a local hospital emergency
department. This program meets the standards established for certification by the
state of Wisconsin and the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Graduates
are prepared for employment on an ambulance service, after passing the National Registry
Exam and becoming licensed with the State of Wisconsin DHS. This program requires
approximately five months to complete.
- Ambulance Services
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Fire Departments
- Assess requirements for emergency care.
- Administer emergency medical care according to standards, using critical thinking abilities.
- Demonstrate proper patient transport techniques.
- Work cooperatively.
- Demonstrate standard safety practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate caring and respectful communication.
- Document assessment findings and care given.