4.05 Access for Students with Disabilities4.05 Access for Students with Disabilities
Title: Access for Students with Disabilities
Number: BP 4.05
Adopted: March 1995
Reviewed: September 2015
Revised: October 2018
It is the intent of Nicolet Area Technical College to fully comply with section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by providing prospective and enrolled students with disabilities equal access to College services and programs. Disability Support Services is responsible for the determination and provision of reasonable accommodations for prospective and enrolled students with disabilities. The ADA/504 Coordinator will ensure that students with disabilities are provided access to and participation in Nicolet Area Technical College's educational environment.
Admission of a disability is voluntary and will be handled in a confidential manner as outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended.
Procedure for Accessing Reasonable Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
1. All prospective and enrolled students will be informed of the College policy of providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. This information will be disseminated by the College.
2. Students will not be asked if they have a disability. However, all students who voluntarily indicate that they have a disability may be asked follow-up questions regarding possible accommodations, or they may be referred to Disability Support Services for further assistance as needed.
3. Any student who becomes disabled during his/her enrollment or attendance at the College may request reasonable accommodations at any time.
Eligibility for Accommodation
Students with disabilities formally requesting accommodations must be referred to Disability Support Services. The Disability Support Services staff will work with the student to obtain specific documentation of their disability that is necessary to provide services. Reports from medical doctors, licensed psychologists, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, any licensed/certified social service agency, or high school Multi-Disciplinary Team Report (M-Team) are acceptable. To ensure auxiliary aids are available to meet students' and prospective students' needs, students must contact Disability Support Services as soon as possible, but no later than ten (10) calendar days prior to the first day the service is needed.
Students in need of specialized personal care such as toileting, feeding, wheelchair pushing, and medicating will be expected to have these needs provided by an agent or agency other than Nicolet Area Technical College.
Types of Reasonable Accommodations
1. Reasonable accommodations at the College can include but are not limited to any or all of the following: barrier-free design of facilities, academic modifications (reduced course loads, additional time to complete assignments/examinations, course substitutions), examination auxiliary services (interpreters, note takers, tutors, scribes, readers), access technology (large print, audible and/or Braille output devices), and alternative scheduling at various times and locations.
2. Designated faculty and staff in Disability Support Services are responsible for evaluating the type and amount of accommodations required for students with disabilities. Referrals to Disability Support Services can be made by an instructor or through student self-referral after students have been admitted/registered in classes. Disability Support Services staff will meet with the instructor and student to determine what services/accommodations will be provided. All reasonable accommodations are provided at no charge to the student.
THE APPEAL PROCESS
If a student/prospective student disagrees with a decision regarding an accommodation request, he/she may appeal the decision to the ADA/504 Coordinator or designee within thirty (30) calendar days using the following procedure:
The appeal must be in writing, stating the reason for the disagreement. This written appeal should be submitted to:
Nicolet Area Technical College
PO Box 518
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Direct TTY/TDD calls to (715) 365-4560 through 711 relay or 1-800-947-3529
During the appeal process, reasonable accommodations will continue to be provided.
1. The ADA/504 Coordinator will re-evaluate the decision, considering any additional information or statements supplied by the prospective student or student (including any additional information from remedial or vocational rehabilitation experts). It is the student's responsibility to provide all necessary documentation at his/her own expense in support of their appeal.
2. The ADA/504 Coordinator may elect to use the assistance of an appointed accommodations committee which may consult with outside agencies in the appeal process, taking care to provide confidentiality for the student/prospective student.
3. The ADA/504 Accommodations Committee will discuss its findings and make recommendations for appropriate action to the ADA/504 Coordinator, and he/she will make the final appeal decision.
4. The student/prospective student will be notified of the final decision in writing within thirty (30) calendar days after the appeal is filed.
By filing this appeal, the student/prospective student does not give up his/her right to pursue other appeal processes within the College or through outside regulatory agencies.