Guatemala Study Tour
Earn Credits while Studying in Guatemala
January 1 – 17, 2016
Deadline to register is September 30, 2015
Quetzaltenango, known locally as Xela (“Shay-la”), is the second largest city in Guatemala with a population of 300,000. It is located 130 miles west of Guatemala City. Its altitude of 8,000 feet above sea level ensures warm days, cool nights, and no mosquitoes.
Xela is laced with narrow cobblestone streets built for walking and filled with the colorful signs of Mayan culture. The city has a rich history – with its six universities and several technical schools, it is often referred to as Guatemala’s cultural center and most progressive city.
Guatemala Informational Meetings
Interested in learning more about studying abroad in Guatemala?
Join Ocie Kilgus for an informational and question/answer session on one of the following dates and times:
Monday, August 31, 11:30 am - Noon
Tuesday, September 1, 1:30 - 2 pm
Wednesday, September 2, Noon - 12:30 pm
Thursday, September 3, 4:30 - 5 pm
University Transfer Center, Third Floor, Conference Room
Contact email@example.com or 715-365-4540 for more information.
Earn Spanish Course Credits
Spanish I, II, III, or IV: 4 credits
No previous Spanish required for Spanish 1 students
Language classes at Casa Xelajú (“Shay-la-Hoo”) are held Monday - Friday, 8 am - 1 pm. Instruction is one-on-one with a Guatemalan teacher. Wonderful cultural activities are available each afternoon.
Casa Xelajú is a socially responsible educational institute promoting cross-cultural understanding through its Spanish, K’iche (“Quiche”) languages, cultural programs, social projects, internships, and volunteer work.
- Airfare out of Central Wisconsin and ground transportation in Guatemala
- Two nights hotel stay – first night (Guatemala City) and last night (Antigua)
- Tuition to Casa Xelajú
- Accommodations with a Guatemalan family – you will be matched with a family based on your interests and preferences, have a private bedroom, and be provided three meals a day, Monday - Saturday
- Daily cultural activities
- Guided weekend travel excursion
- Free unlimited internet access
- Group dinner the last night in Guatemala
- Nicolet College credit for the course selected
- Emergency medical and evacuation/repatriation insurance
Price Per Person
- Trip Fee $1,733
- Tuition $725.30 for selected Spanish I-IV
- $300 non-refundable deposit required with application (applied towards trip)
- All fees must be paid by October 1st
- Students withdrawing after October 1st will not be eligible for a refund
- Students must be 18 years old to enroll in this course